Italy’s top global B-School SDA Bocconi started its two-year MBA programme at Mumbai International School of Business Bocconi (MISB) in Mumbai this July. SDA Bocconi is one of the leading universities in the field of economics and management and among the top 10 European B-schools according to the Financial Times rankings.
We have been getting a lot of questions from prospective students for the coming batch. In an interview with B-School.com, Mr. Alessandro Giuliani, Managing Director, MISB Bocconi talks about the program, its benefits and is kind enough to solve all our queries.
On the missing AICTE approval
Well, this has been by far the most common question – MISB is not approved by AICTE. What will be the after-effects of that?
Well, Alessandro assures us that they are very much looking forward to the approval and in fact MISB Bocconi meets all the necessary conditions to get an approval. He insists that students should not worry much about this as a lot of things are under process.
On the question of jobs and placements
This is the next most frequently asked question by prospective students. Well, honestly it’s hard to be too sure right now but like Alessandro said, MISB Bocconi has been started with the objective to help and support local businesses by providing great talent. The 110 year SDA Bocconi reputation helps them reach out to more and more businesses both in India as well as abroad. He says they are constantly in touch with CEOs of MNCs in India and abroad and everyone is excited about hiring MISB Bocconi students.
As far as numbers are concerned, we’ll have to wait for another year till the first batch goes for placements, or at least summer placements so that we can have a rough idea.
On the whole FDI in Education thing
The cabinet approved 100% FDI in Education in India, with certain clauses of course, but it is still waiting for approval in the Parliament. There are a lot of international schools looking forward to this opportunity to setup campuses here in India.
India currently has several overseas universities that offer exchange programs and have tie-ups with Indian universities and business schools. The prestigious Indian School of Business has a partnership with Kellogg School of Management and Wharton, two top US institutions, while Harvard Business School established the India Research Center in Mumbai in 2006. But there are no degrees that are offered by international business schools due to India’s ambiguous regulation over the presence of overseas institutions.
Folks at SDA Bocconi went ahead and did that. It is very important that this bill be passed especially to improve the higher education standards here in India. It is a win-win for everyone, international schools, Indian students, Indian businesses and of course our economy.
About the Program
Honestly, I’d want everyone to spend some time on the MISB Bocconi website and have a look at the curriculum and the way it is being delivered. I always wanted to be at an international school because of many reasons, one of the main ones being the curriculum and the varied course options that they provide. Here a few things which I liked about MISB Bocconi:
1. Like I said, it is a great curriculum. The courses are designed in such a way that they give the students a flexibility to choose what they want to study, how they want to study. In fact, the exchange semester at SDA Bocconi provides students around 100 subject options.
2. Great faculty, most of whom fly down from SDA Bocconi in Milan, Italy. The best part about this is you get to learn from the faculty of SDA Bocconi, recognized worldwide in their respective areas, who come down to Mumbai to deliver lectures. Last month Robert Grant, number two in the world for strategy, was there at MISB Bocconi.
3. Exchange semester at SDA Bocconi where you get to spend an entire semester with folks from 80 countries. I don’t think I need to elaborate further on this. The international experience is something we have always been talking about and it can make a lot of difference.
4. State of the art infrasturcture and facilities of a truly international stature, access to e-library which includes that of SDA Bocconi, etc. The infrastructure is a high-quality location positioned in the hearth of Powai area at Hiranandani and this location gives students access to all Hiranandani complex facilities as an agreement MISB signed.
5. This last one is something I look for in any business school – Diversity. MISB Bocconi has students from 15 states in India from varied educational backgrounds and varied work experiences as well. At the end of the day I feel diversity plays a very important role while trying to reap the greatest benefit from a business school education.
As an applicant, the only things I would worry about now:
1. Again the AICTE approval thing, if you want to pursue higher studies like a PhD. But, mostly Indian b-schools don’t ask for a Master’s, so it shouldn’t be much of a problem.
2. The ROI. The cost of the program is around 17-18 lakhs and a little more when you go abroad for a semester. As compared to pursuing the same course abroad, we know it is far cheaper this way. We know the SDA brand name will get jobs but what kind of jobs is something which we can know only after the first batch graduate. I think a student will have to gamble a little there.
I asked Alessandro a straight-forward question, Why should a student join MISB Bocconi and not, say, IIM-A,B,C, etc. ? He said, apart from many advantages, most of which I have already discussed above, the best part is getting the certificate from SDA Bocconi and being part of their 80,000+ alumni spread all across the globe. The value of the network indeed is precious.
In short, it is everything like SDA Bocconi, from the heart of Mumbai.
To know more about the curriculum or admission process or for further information, you can visit the MISB Bocconi website. If you have any questions please feel free to shoot it to us and we’ll get it answered from the good folks at MISB Bocconi.
B-School.com incoming search terms:
- misb bocconi review
- misb bocconi
- alessandro giuliani bocconi
- misb bocconi placements
- misb bocconi ranking
- admission query MISB
- misb bocconi reviews
- misb reviews
- misb bocconi placement